Monday, August 17, 2009

First week back: easy

A good routine building first week back, with all but one session completed (Sunday’s easy swim or run missed due to BMMC commitments).

First tempo run back was a very ugly experience on Thursday arvo, with a 20min effort on the trail almost killing me, as I blew off some cob webs.
Saturday morning was a pleasant run in Nat Park out to Nepean L.O with Rod the Hornet and Sailaway, as pre-arranged by Scam and Dr Phil (who both disappeared after 30mins).

Sunday was another glorious Blue Mtns late Winter morning run from Glen to Wood with the Gargermiester. Strangely enough including what has to be a top 3 run time: 37 mins to Oaks, 62 to Helipad, for an accumulated 1hr52mins 9 seconds to Woodford.
Weekly totals: 103k run, 4.5k swim, 45mins bike (RPM class)

Looking fwd to an easy run over the Willie to Billie this weekend, and to Mr G’s show down with the Sleep trains better half, actually better three quarters.

Note: if you are an affiliate BMMC member, actual BMMC member, run in the W2Bille, or just interested in talking running this Sunday night, then you must attend the W2Billie post race Pizza Night at Victorias Restaurant, Warrimoo. Pizza starts 6:30pm. - $15 per head. (Sunday not Saturday night). See you there

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping to run the 6 foot track next year for the first time. Is it possible for you to provide some details on "longish" (say 25-35klms) runs in the lower mountains that might be helpfull?

Thanks

Sleep Train said...

G'day anonymous,

You have come to the right place as "longish" 24-35k runs are our bread and butter in the lower Blue Mtns.

My top 3 would be:

1: Glenbrook National Park. Park at the gate at the Ranger Hut on Bruce Rd and head into the park. You can either head up the Oaks Fire Trail, or out to Mt Portal, or Euroka Clearing. It is well marked all off raod.

2: Shaws Ridge from White Cross Road at Winmalee. Again, park at the gate at end of White cross Rd, and there is a big 10k loop through Blue Gum Swamp, at the half way there is a hill called "Bees nest" (signed) that takes you up to Grose Head South - awaesome view. You 'can' go back via St Columbas, put its tresspassing, so i only do it twice a week.

3: (and my personal favoutite) is Faulconbridge Point. Basicly follow Grose Road off the Great Western just past the faulconbridge shops, eventually it turns dirt and is gated, but park at Springwood High and it is 10-11k to the lookout (brilliant view), you could also go down to teh river by following the singles track down to the river that is about 1k on the right BEFORE you get to the LO.

Good luck, I will probably see you out there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that I will definately try those runs.

I don't think I will be moving quickly enough to see you, but who knows?
Apart from hills do you do anything else different for trail runs. I did the Willy to Billy on the weekend and really struggled, not just with the hills, but also the uneven surface. My ankles are really sore.

Thanks again

Sleep Train said...

Hi Anonymous,

As for trail runs I don't do anything different other than ensure I always have "fresh" shoes on my feet, as soon as the cushioning starts going I get new shoes (this is expensive, but cheaper than bike tyres).

I did 6 foot in Kayanos, one of the heaviest shoes you can buy, but also one of the most stable (people said it was silly)

I have also noticed than when other runners start on rough trails it just takes time to learn to balance and develop the skills & flexibility in your ankles....

Dr Phil/ flying fist is currently going through this and after his 15 ankle sprains in 6 months is getting beter ankle flex.

My ankles are that "flexible" after 20 sprains in 10 years that they can almost bend at right angles before I can sprain them these days, but they are rarely saw - so I guess it just takes time on trails.