Friday, April 17, 2009

Sleep on "The Worlds Best Excuses" -Version 2

Prefacing this entry with the fact that I am no model citizen when it come to excuse making, a lot has been said recently about excuse making for missing training.

If one wrote a book on the subject of excuse making Im sure it would be a lengthy book and require an immediate reprint if sold solely in the Blue Mtns at the moment - I could even contribute a good chapter titled: how to deliver an early morning excuse via SMS (and then go running with Gareth anyway)

Some prefer to use the truth when making up excuses for not turning up to training, such as "couldn't be stuffed, I'm too lazy, or I'm on holidays so don't need to run at 5:30 am". It tends to be the honest excuses that get the most criticism, why is that?

While on the other hand, the more imaginative and creative excuses (the ones made of B.S) are often digested hook line and sinker as palatable reasons for random no shows, for example 'this alien landed and stole my running shoes'.

So I would like to start an official register of imaginative excuses that can be used when deciding to be somewhat economical with the truth when making an excuse, this will at least make it more entertaining for those regularly in receipt of excuses (like the Scam- again no model citizen, but generally a reliable dude).

Registered Excuses:
1: I don't want to improve my times, so I will sleep in today
2. I ran yesterday, so obviously I wont be running 2 days in a row
3. I like to train at Vo2 Max every session, all session, and you run too slow [or fast] for me to maintain my Max
4. I didn't get home until 9:30 pm last night so I might give it a miss
5. I think training has taken me as far as it can, I'll just use visualization from here on in
6. I have a girl friend now (or new pet) so running isn't a priority
7. Its too hot, too cold, too dark, too wet, too early or late, its too dry or windy, its too humid or sunny, its too foggy, the snow is too deep, the rivers too wide, the flood too angry, the bush fire is moving too fast and may cross our path,
7.a Any excuse related to season, weather or terain
8. The National Park is closed, or that run is in the Catchment Area
9. That run technically includes an illegal route (ie private property)
10. I will be driving to Lismore or Newcastle until further notice
11. I have another event on, including: wedding anniversary, a "close" family event, a "recognised" religious event(NB: attempting to plan a 3 peaks expedition on your wedding anniversary is not recommended OK)
12. and from Mister G a direct quote:..."Some sort of excuse about having warm company under the doona on a cold morning (aka semi-retirement)...."
13. [other excuses here]


Part 2 to blog, this weeks running;
- Ran two laps of Kedumba with Mister G, the Scam and J-Glen on Saturday, ascent 1: 45m 30sec, ascent 2: 41m 20secs (a lot of NF 100 animals out on course familiarization exercises), followed by
- 20km time trial in the National Park on Sunday with a cohort of the Blue Mtns elite cross country runners/ triathletes on a run promoted as their "easy" sunday morning run, ahhh to be 18 years old again!
- Weeks totals, 107k running, 5km swimming, ride nil

3 comments:

Scam Bullant said...

Please ensure there i a family commitment related excuse section. birthdays, weddings, aniversaries, christmas. Plenty of material to draw on to get out of a 6.ooam training run.

Mister G said...

Some sort of excuse about having warm company under the doona on a cold morning (aka semi-retirement)....

Sleep Train said...

both great sections to be added
both noted for inclusion